Your dental practice’s website is more than just a list of facts about your business. The content you provide should educate customers, offer practical solutions to their problems, and make visitors believe in your knowledge and authority. These elements encourage visitors to become buyers.
Even if you write accurate, entertaining content and publish consistently, it won’t do any good if no one reads it. Readers need to be able to find your website. One of the ways to attract search engine attention is through proper dental marketing practices which includes SEO. These tips will help you use keywords to drive local traffic to your dental practice.
What are Keywords?
Keywords are short phrases that people use in search engines. An inexperienced cook may look up terms like “easy blueberry pie” or “how to roast a chicken”. The search engine’s software will crawl through its collection of web pages for the exact wording provided. Pages that most closely match the phrase will appear higher in the list of results.
Using Keywords to Drive Traffic
How do you get web searchers to find your site more easily? Here’s how to create content around keyword phrases that identify your business online.
- Start with a brainstorming session. Set a timer for five minutes and write down phrases people might search for that are related to your services.
- Use the names of common procedures in combination with the city and state in which your practice is located. “Root canal in Charlotte, NC” or “crown replacement San Francisco, CA” are some good examples.
- Use Google AdWords Keyword tool to check your phrases. This popular application will give you an idea of how many people actually search for these terms. It can also suggest other phrases that rank higher.
- Write a blog post or informational article using your keywords. Don’t overuse the phrase as search engine algorithms are designed to disregard repetitive phrasing as possible spam. Your word use should sound natural in the text.
- See how others are using your keywords. Use your favorite search engine and read the content of the highest-ranked results. This will give you some ideas on how to create content around those words.
- Make your posts different. Don’t just rewrite what others have to say. Add your unique perspective, knowledge, or experience to make your pieces stand out.
- Branch out. You don’t have to write only about dental procedures and information. If your business participates in local fundraisers and community events, include that in your blog. Someone searching for the event will pull up your information. They may not be looking for a dentist now, but your name will be the first one to pop up when they do.
Fill a spreadsheet with 100-200 keyword phrases that might attract potential dental customers in your area. This will get you started building a blog that draws the attention of local residents to your services.
Additional SEO Tips
Use these tips to tune up your SEO efforts to increase web traffic.
- Use keywords in titles, URLs, and image names. Once again, don’t overdo it. Too many keywords will get your whole site marked as spam.
- Link to your own content. Reference the piece you wrote on types of anesthesia in your article about root canal procedures.
- Create a sitemap to make it easier for web crawlers to pick up your content.
- Update your content regularly.
Proper keyword use will increase website traffic and attract new clients to your dental practice.